Samosa filling in a sandwich! Quick and simple meal. I do not like or eat peas except in samosas and this sandwich.
- Yellow Onion
- Cumin seeds
- Cumin powder
- Red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder
- Daiya vegan slices
- Green chili chutney (optional)
- Bread (Good grilling bread is essential. I like Kroger bakery breads, they always grill perfectly including the Simple Truth ready made ones in the bakery area. Be careful with the breads at Whole Foods that are similar as those are often brushed with egg.)
- Cut 1 large potato into small cubes
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add cumin seeds to pan once oil is heated. It should sizzle but not burn. Once seeds are fragrant and dark brown, add the potato. Mix often while it cooks for about 5 minutes.
- Chop 1/2 medium yellow onion and add to the pan.
- Once onion is translucent, season with 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix.
- Add small bag of frozen peas or 1 1/2 c peas total.
- Add 1/4 c water. Cover. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender (or as soft/firm as you prefer; you can even mash some of the mix to make it stick together better in the sandwich). Uncover and let rest of water cook off.
- Remove from heat.
- Spread vegan mayo or vegan butter or simply olive oil on both sides of pairs of slices of bread. Grill on a pan (I use a cast iron griddle pan but if you have sandwich maker, that would be optimal).
- When one side of the bread is heated, flip and add slices of cheese on the side while the other side cooks through. I use Daiya provolone style slices which are pretty cheesy and one slice will suffice – you can split it between the two slices of bread or just place it on one side (I split it because it sort of acts as “glue” to hold the veggies between the bread).
- Spoon potato mixture on the cheese layer of one slice of a pair and top with the other slice (if you have chutney, add it to this slice prior to “closing” the sandwich – alternatively, you can dip the sandwich into chutney between bites instead).
- Serve with cucumber salad, coleslaw, or potato chips.