- White beans
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, oregano, chopped onion
- Optional: mushroom, onions, garlic, pesto, spinach, diced green chili peppers
- Garnish: cilantro or parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan
- Saute 1/2 c sliced or chopped mushrooms (I use organic baby bella mushrooms). After 3 minutes, add 2 Tbsp chopped onion and turn the mushrooms to brown the other side. After another 2 minutes, and 1 tsp minced garlic. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 can (or ~2 cups) white beans. Mix. Cook 2 minutes. Add 1/4 c water and allow it to simmer so the mixture thickens. Smash some of the beans (about a quarter of the mixture) during this step to thicken further.
- Optional: add 1 1/2c chopped spinach and allow to wilt
- Season with 1/4 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp pepper + 1 tsp crushed red pepper + 1 tsp oregano
- If using dried chopped onion instead, add it now (1 Tbsp)
- Optional: add green chili peppers or pesto and mix through
- Add water as needed to keep it creamy. If it becomes to runny, just continue to heat until water evaporates until beans at desired consistency.
- Garnish with 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- Spoon onto toasted bread
TIPS* Great additions to the toast include mashed avocado, tomato, roasted sweet peppers, roasted asparagus, olive tamponade, hummus – really, the combinations are endless
* This mix can be added onto any bruschetta mix for a heartier bruschetta meal
Below are affiliate links to products available on Amazon or at Whole Foods. Your local grocer and stores may have similar items so always comparison shop. I often find deals on cookware at HomeGoods/TJMaxx and is where I purchased all the ‘equipment’ below