I have been on a quest to create fluffy vegan pancakes. I even settled for a few less than stellar mixes and then just decided I do not ever need pancakes again. …but then I had overripe bananas leftover and recalled my nonvegan banana pancakes which were perfectly fluffy so I began my quest again. This is perfection.
- Olive oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vanilla Extract
- Flax egg
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips (optional but soooo good)
*Flax egg = 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp warm water. Allow to sit for ~15 min
- Mash 2 overripe bananas (the riper, the sweeter)
- Place 1/2 c oat milk + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and allow to sit about 10 mins
- Combine wet ingredients: 2 mashed bananas, 3 Tbsp oil (olive, sunflower, avocado, or coconut), 1 tsp vanilla extract, apple cider + oat milk mix (reserve another 1/2c oat milk to mix into final mix). Whisk together until well-combined
- Combine dry ingredients: 1 3/4c whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour), 2 Tbsp cornstarch or cornflour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp table salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredient mix. Stir until combined while adding 1/4c more milk to allow them to combine easily. Add rest of 1/4c milk if needed for a batter consistency. You may need an extra 1/4 c for drier or more glutinous flours. Add 1/4 c chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to the final batter and fold in. I like topping with fruits rather than adding it into the batter but any fruits or nuts can also be folded in as well at this step.
- Lightly brush a pan or griddle with olive oil. Heat the pan on LOW HEAT – this may seem like a slow cook but will allow batter to cook through without burning to provide the perfect golden top and fluffy middle
- Spoon 1/4 c batter onto the griddle – I spread it into a fairly thin circle with a silicone spatula (about the depth of a chocolate chip). It will take about 2 minutes to cook until ready to flip.
- Flip once holes appear in batter. Even if edges cook and become golden before this, wait for the holes to form.
- Cook on other side about 1 minute
I eat mine with pineapple since that’s how I had it as a kid. If I have berries, I add those, too. Monk fruit syrup can be used on top as well if extra sweetness desired.
The following are affiliate links — affiliate links provide commission for purchases made to run this site without any extra cost to you. These are not sponsored…I just happen to really love certain brands so they appear often.
One thought on “Fluffy Vegan Pancakes”