If you have not already caught on to this, I love meals with layers topped upon layers that I can eat together with a fork from a bowl 🙂 Here’s another one of those. Totchos are bascially nachos on Tots.
- Vegan Cheeze
- Pinto Beans
- Beyond Meat Crumbles
- Romaine Lettuce
- Coriander Powder
- Red Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Nutritional Yeast
- Taco Seasoning (if unavailable, just double the aforementioned seasonings)
- Bake tots – two servings (18 tots) takes about 12 minutes at 450F
- Heat crumbles in a skillet over low-medium heat
- Add one can pinto beans (drained) to the crumbles. Mix and heat through.
- Season with 2 Tbsp taco seasoning, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Mix through and mash about 1/3 of the beans. Add 3 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast and mix through – this gives it a creamier consistency.
- Add 2 Tbsp salsa and mix through
- More water can be added if mixture is drying out
- Season tots with salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange tots in a bowl
- Sprinkle vegan cheeze shreds onto tots (I used Daiya Monterey Jack style shreds)
- Spoon about 1 Tbsp salsa on top and then spoon the bean mix onto this
- Top with more cheeze if desired
- Garnish with chopped Romaine lettuce, chopped tomato, and cubed avocado
- Season the toppings with pinch of salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp seasoning
- Optional: if you have a creamy vegan queso such as Siete queso, this can either be added to the warm bean mix or on top of the tots instead of the cheeze shreds
TIPSI used the Beyond Meat Feisty flavor crumbles but it does not matter which one you use as the added seasoning will suffice for flavor. Note that Quorn crumbles have egg and thus not vegan. Morning Star also uses egg in some of their products so read labels as the formulations change over time.
If making this for several people: prepare all the layers first, then arrange all the tots on bottom of an oven proof dish, topped with cheese, and topped with bean mix — this can then be heated in one big oven proof dish. Divide the servings into bowls and then add individual toppings. This way, all the necessary layers are warm.