I do not follow any type of breakfast/lunch/dinner rules in that I will eat enchiladas early in the morning and a tofu scramble in the evening.. but if you like traditional ‘breakfast’ meals, this fits the bill. It also slides into brunch with its nachoness.
- Black Beans
- Sweet Peppers
- Green chilis
- Cumin Powder
- Red Chili Powder
- Taco Seasoning
- Vegan Cheeze Shreds
- Hot Sauce
- Bake tots as per instructions — usually 2-3 servings cooks in 11 minutes at 450ºF
- Prepare black beans:
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan
- Add 2 Tbsp chopped onion, 1 tsp minced garlic, and 1 Tbsp diced green chilis (canned, 2 tsp if fresh or adjust to desired spice level). Cook for 2 mins until fragrant and onions soften.
- Add 1/2 can black beans (rinsed and drained).
- Season with 1 Tbsp taco seasoning, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp pepper, and pinch of salt
- Prepare tofu scramble:
- Heat 1 tsp oil on medium heat
- Add 1/3c chopped sweet peppers, 1 Tbsp chopped onion, 2 tsp minced garlic, and 1-2 Tbsp chopped green chilis. Mix together and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until peppers and onions soften
- Season with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, pinch of red chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder (I also added 1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder but this is not essential)
- Add tofu, while breaking it up with your hands (it will easily crumble). I used approximately half of a 14 oz block of extra firm tofu but silken tofu or any other type will work.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric, 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 Tbsp oregano, and more salt and pepper to taste. Mix together. Heat through for about 4-5 minutes. Continue to break up tofu to consistency desired.
- Tots should be done. Gather together in same pan or an oven-safe dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the tots! Layer as follows:
- 2 servings Tots
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Cheeze Shreds
- 2 Tbsp Salsa
- Black Bean Mix
- Another 1 Tbsp Salsa
- Sprinkle of more Cheeze if desired
- Tofu Scramble
- Heat through in oven for 3-4 minutes
- Garnish on top with one chopped tomato, drizzle hot sauce (I used a generous drizzle of Cholula), and 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Fresh sliced jalapeño makes a great addition on top as well
TIPSThe key here really is the black beans and tofu scramble. You can forgo the tots and eat this as a bowl on its own, layer it onto tortilla chips, or inside tortillas as a breakfast taco (see pic below)
I keep my black bean mix and tofu scramble separate and store them separately so I can make an array of dishes such as using the black beans as a dip later on and the tofu scramble on a piece of toast. They reheat better separately. However, as a time saver and if devouring all of it, simply add the tofu to the cooked beans after the last step in the black bean prep and then season as you would the tofu scramble on its own.
One thought on “Breakfast Totchos (i.e. Black Bean Tofu Scramble Totchos)”