- Baby bella mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- Broccoli, chopped
- Kale, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Cilantro, chopped
- salt, pepper, cumin, oregano
- Cook Farro: I used 1/2 cup farro which made about 2 1/2 servings. Use about 3:1 ratio of water to farro. Bring salted water to a boil (1 tsp in 2 cups water). Rinse farro (1/2c) and add to the water once boiling. Cover. Simmer for 25 minutes (check it at 20 minutes and then at 5 minute intervals thereafter; cook until al dente)
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in nonstick pan at medium heat. Add 2c mushrooms (chopped). Cook for two minutes. Add 2c broccoli (chopped). Cook another 3 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Mix and cook another 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 Tbsp oregano.
- Add cooked farro to the vegetables along with any water remaining in the pot (it will boil off). Mix. Add chopped kale (about 2 handfuls of baby kale). Add 1-2 Tbsp chopped cilantro.
NOTESFarro is a grain that has a texture between brown rice and pasta. It is a good substitute for either.
One-half cup of cooked farro has about 4 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber. With the addition of the veggies in this dish, you get about 20g protein and 11g fiber, along with plenty of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Calcium