- Baby bella mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- Broccoli, chopped
- Kale, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Cilantro, chopped
- salt, pepper, cumin, oregano
- Cook Farro: I used 1/2 cup farro which made about 2 1/2 servings. Use about 3:1 ratio of water to farro. Bring salted water to a boil (1 tsp in 2 cups water). Rinse farro (1/2c) and add to the water once boiling. Cover. Simmer for 25 minutes (check it at 20 minutes and then at 5 minute intervals thereafter; cook until al dente)
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in nonstick pan at medium heat. Add 2c mushrooms (chopped). Cook for two minutes. Add 2c broccoli (chopped). Cook another 3 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Mix and cook another 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 Tbsp oregano.
- Add cooked farro to the vegetables along with any water remaining in the pot (it will boil off). Mix. Add chopped kale (about 2 handfuls of baby kale). Add 1-2 Tbsp chopped cilantro.
NOTESFarro is a grain that has a texture between brown rice and pasta. It is a good substitute for either.
One-half cup of cooked farro has about 4 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber. With the addition of the veggies in this dish, you get about 20g protein and 11g fiber, along with plenty of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Calcium
Below are affiliate links for products I use or prefer