This sandwich is full of nutrition, flavor, and lots of layers! I used ciabatta bread which may not be the best option if you have normal human-sized mouth, but it made it oh-so-delicious.
- Bell peppers
- Red onion
- Vegan cheese – I used Field Roast Chao Cheese
- Bread – I used ciabatta, which makes the height even taller so choose wisely
- Toasted bread – options on bread prep can be brushing lightly withe some olive oil and grilling on a pan, toasting in a toaster, broiling in an oven
- Mashed avocado – remove avocado flesh from skin, mash with fork, season with 1/4 tsp pepper and pinch of salt. I usually also sprinkle some ‘everything bagel seasoning’ on top as well (can be found at Costco)
- Sliced tomato – I use tomato on the vine, sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper
- Vegan cheese – cheeze (vegan cheese) does not really add nutrition but I like this flavor of this one and the provolone cheezes I have found. A good substitute would be a slice of grilled tofu which would would add plenty of nutrition and creaminess.
- Grilled veggies – heat olive oil in a pan (enough to thinly coat pan), cook 3-4 baby bella mushrooms (sliced), 1/2 bell pepper (sliced), 1/4 red onion (sliced), 1/4 zucchini (cut into strips) – season with 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin, pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp oregano
- Sliced cucumber – season with pinch of salt and pepper
- Baby spinach
- Smashed avocado
- Toasted bread
TIPSMost ciabatta is vegan but double-check the ingredients as it may contain milk. Also, some bakery breads have egg brushed on top so double check for that, too!
Other great additions would be sliced olives, sliced jalapeños, cooked eggplant, or grilled slice of tofu
Below are affiliate links