- Extra Firm Tofu or whichever available
- Bell peppers or sweet peppers
- Serrano peppers
- Red or yellow onion
- spices: red chilli pepper, ancho chili pepper, salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, crushed red pepper, taco seasoning
- corn tortillas, taco size
- optional toppings: cilantro, avocado
- Tofu Marinade: In a bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp ancho chili powder , 1 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1 tsp minced garlic.
- Press fluid out of tofu – I use a tea towel, put the block of tofu in between and squeeze. As for the tofu itself, I get the double pack which is already divided into appropriate portion sizes for one person (7oz) so double the amount of tofu (14oz tofu) and marinade ingredients in order to get two servings of tofu.
- Cut tofu into cubes and arrange in a single layer in a dish or bowl – I use a small glass baking dish. Pour the marinade ingredients over the tofu and ensure all sides of the cubes are covered – just shift the tofu around gently to avoid breaking up the cubes. Alternatively, you can use a basting brush to coat the sides of the cubes
- Place plate of tofu in the fridge while preparing the rest
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add 1c sliced or chopped bell peppers or sweet peppers. Cook about 3 minutes. Add 1/4c chopped onion and 1-2 chopped serrano peppers. After 2 minutes, add 1 1/2c chopped cauliflower and 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Cook another 4 minutes.
- Season with 2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder if fresh garlic not available, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/4 tsp red chili powder (adjust to taste, mine is very spicy), 2 tsp taco seasoning (if not available, add an extra 1 tsp cumin + 1/4 tsp red chili powder). Remove from heat and cover.
- Heat a small skillet. Heat up the tortillas until soft (this makes them pliable and prevents them from cracking open. Alternatively – especially if heating lots of tortillas – you can heat in an oven set at 350F – heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat a small nonstick pan at medium heat. Brush some olive oil to cover the bottom. Arrange tofu in a single layer on the pan. Cook 2 minutes, turn, cook another 2 minutes, turn, cook an additional minute on each of the rest of the cube sides (probably not necessary as the tofu can even be eaten raw, but I like mine to be crisp and even on all sides for some dishes)
- Arrange a handful of cabbage on tortillas. Sprinkle pinch of taco seasoning on top if desired. Add the vegetable mixture. Top with tofu. Garnish with cilantro, sliced serrano peppers, or cubed avocado.
Makes 2 servings of 2 tacos
TIPSAncho chili power can be substituted with regular red chili powder or jalapeño powder can substitute; adjust amount to desired/tolerated spice level. Ancho chilis are a specific taste and worth a try.