I LOVE nachos but chilaquiles are a step above. These vegan chilaquiles are incredibly tasty and easy to make!
- chopped canned tomatoes (I used the type in green chilis for extra flavor)
- canned adobo sauce with chipotle peppers
- black beans
- shiitake mushrooms (this is the “shredded chicken” for the chilaquiles)
- corn tortilla chips
- Soak 1/2 cup cashews in water for 3 hours
- In a blender, add cashews (Drained), 1/2 c chopped canned tomatoes, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, 1 Tbsp adobo sauce, 1/4 c vegetable broth or water, 1/4 bunch of cilantro (or about 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro)
- In a skillet, heat 1 tsp olive oil (enough to coat pan), sauté 1/2 c thinly sliced onion until softens then add 1 Tbsp minced garlic (~2 large cloves) and sauté another 2 minutes until fragrant. Add blended sauce mix and bring to boil. Add 1 c black beans. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, adding water as needed to avoid drying out..
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat, sauté 1/2 c sliced shiitake mushrooms for about 3 minutes each side. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and taco seasoning as desired (or about 1/8 tsp each seasoning except just a small pinch of salt once cooked through).
- Mix tortilla chips into the mix and coat. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow tortilla chips to soften.
- Transfer to a dish, top with mushrooms and sprinkle with vegan cheese and chopped cilantro. — Can be transferred to an oven safe dish to reheat in the oven at 350F for about 8 minutes (make sure to sprinkle with some water to avoid drying out the dish)
TIPSThe bean mix (before tortilla chips are mixed in) can be reserved for use at a later date and stored in the fridge. The completed dish should be enjoyed immediately as it would be too soggy to save leftovers.
The shiitake mushrooms add great texture and act as the “chicken” that is typically found on chilaquiles. Other great toppings would be to stick to black beans alone or some seasoned tofu (use extra firm and season the same and then break up into pieces and mix into the sauce mix prior to mixing in the tortilla chips)
Be on the lookout for more recipes on here to use up that delicious adobo sauce!
One thought on “Vegan Chilaquiles”