The same ingredients can be used for traditional lasagne casserole or for lasagne roll ups
- Whole Grain Lasagne Pasta
- Olive oil
- Sliced Black Olives
- Tofu Ricotta
- Marinara Sauce
- other optional vegetables: broccoli, cremini mushrooms, spinach
- seasoning: salt, pepper, cumin powder, oregano or Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder
- Cook lasagne per instructions – boil for about 8 minutes, enough fro it to be pliable to roll up or to avoid extended cook time when using uncooked lasagne which can dry out the dish. Once lasagne cooked, brush small amount oil to the pasta to avoid sticking and lay on a baking sheet or plate.
- Make tofu ricotta
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add one zucchini sliced into half-moons and eggplant cut into quartered slices. After 5 minutes, add sliced olives (optional – add chopped broccoli and/or chopped mushrooms). Mix and cook another 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 c sauce. Can add chopped spinach and cook until wilted or add the chopped spinach to the ricotta.
- Season vegetable mix with 1 Tbsp orgeno, 2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cumin powder. Mix. Remove from heat.
- Lightly brush a baking dish with olive oil. Spoon 1/4 c sauce to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Create a layer of lasagne at the bottom of the dish over the sauce. Top with ricotta. Spoon vegetable mix on top of this. Sprinkle some shredded vegan mozzarella or parmesan over this. — If making lasagne roll-ups then roll up at this point. Make layer of roll-ups and skip to Step 9.
- Create next layer of casserole: lasagne, ricotta, vegetables (I did not have enough veggies for three layers so I made the middle layer plant-based “meat” crumbles using Beyond Meat Plant-Based Feisty Crumbles)
- Third layer: lasagne, ricotta, vegetables
- Top with 1/2 c sauce to coat top layer and allow to run down sides of the salagne. Add more ricotta, shredded vegan mozzarella or parmesan