This soup has a definite curry style with its seasonings, chickpeas, and lentils. Plus it has whole wheat pasta for added texture and nutrition.
- Olive oil or Avocado oil
- Tomato Paste
- Canned chopped tomatoes
- Veggie broth
- Red Lentils
- Bowtie pasta or small shell pasta
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Oat milk or coconut milk
- Nutritional Yeast
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Italian Seasoning
- Baby Spinach or Baby Kale
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pot over medium heat. Add 1/4 c chopped onion and 1 Tbsp minced garlic. Sauté through for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 can rinsed chickpeas, mix, and roast for a few more minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp tomato paste, 1 can tomatoes (I used roasted tomatoes with green chilis), 4 c broth, and 1/3 c uncooked red lentils (rinsed). Stir together and bring to a boil.
Note: the broth I used for this was seasoned specifically for this soup so it has the curry seasonings (cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder) already in it — an additional 1 Tbsp cumin powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/4 tsp chili powder won’t hurt if yours is not heavily seasoned so add it at this step!
- Let boil for about 8 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Add pasta* — use either small shells or bowtie or a mix which is what I did since I had a little bit of each.
*I learned from making lasagna soup that a smaller bite sized pasta would be better in this soup especially with the chickpeas so every ingredient could be held in each spoonful.
- Boil for another 8 minutes until pasta is al dente
- Add 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 c oat milk or coconut milk, 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 Tbsp oregano, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning, 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 2 c fresh baby spinach (or baby kale). Mix through. Cover to allow the spinach to wilt but heat can be turned off at this point. Let sit for 5 minutes covered.
- Remove from heat. Spoon into bowls and serve piping hot.
This is a complete meal, no added anything needed on top or beside this soup which makes it even more satisfying!